Cycle Massachusetts – State Bike Tour
“The Friendliest Ride In The East”
August 5th – 11th, 2017Register Now
The State Bike Tour is our signature event and the only week-long tour in Massachusetts. And of course, it is The Friendliest Ride In The East
Special for 2017
This is going to be an amazing tour. We’ll be riding in Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire. A few of the route highlights are the Bridge of Flowers, covered bridges, kayaking and even a skydiving option. We’re also working on creating points of interest every 10 miles. We’re not telling you what they are ’cause we want you to be surprised!
Family Friendly Weekend
We want families to enjoy the fun, so we have a special option for them.
- Children 11 and under are free
- Rides will be less than 25 miles
- All rides will have ride leaders so you are all well taken care of
- Afternoon games and special treats.
- Family oriented evening activity on Saturday.
Saturday Enmass Event
On, Saturday, the first day of the tour, we have a very exciting day planned. We are teaming up with MassBike, the organization we support, to offer group rides along each of our routes. MassBike Ambassadors will shepherd and support multiple groups covering all our rides and rider abilities that day. It’s a fantastic way to find people with similar riding styles and for groups who came together to expand their rider network. Either way, its a fun way to make new friends. And with a major stop about 20 miles into the day, you have the opportunity to change groups if you think you would be more comfortable in a different one. Of course, you don’t have to participate if you don’t want to, but we think this is too good an opportunity to pass up.
But the fun that day isn’t just about the riding. A couple of miles from the end of your routes is the bicycle friendly Peoples Pint. And if you don’t care to stop there, there will also be food, drink and fun awaiting you at the end of today’s ride. Plus, everyone can enjoy our gourmet Crooked Stick Pops when they finish their ride.
We’re excited to offer everyone the option of GPS way finding. It’s a great addition to our painted arrows and printed cue sheets. To do this, we have teamed up with Ride With GPS to provide all of our riders with access to our online routes as well as Ride With GPS’s premium features including use of the app. All you will need is one of their free accounts and their easy to use app on your smartphone. And you’ll be able to print out our detailed cue sheets and maps in a format that can be customized to fit your preference. Don’t worry about your precious data. Download the maps and internet access or cell service isn’t necessary!
Interested? Just follow this link to get started. Want to learn more? The Tour & Event Participants help portal is a great place to start.
About Our Tour
Each year we explore different parts of the states and sometimes venture into neighboring states. We are continually trying out new ideas without giving up any of the things people love about us.
This year, we are adding a new rider reception, so you can get to know some of our friendly volunteers, a few old timers and others who are new to Cycle Massachusetts. We welcome eBikes, and we’ve got other ideas in the works.
We ride through mostly rural areas with quiet roads, so you can experience forest and farms and our quaint New England villages.
Many people are surprised to find out how hilly our state can be. But we try to keep things mellow while also providing options for people to stretch themselves. And just in case you aren’t up to riding all of a day’s route, your registration includes our Headstart Drop-Off Service which will allow you to start up to 20 miles into the route.
Overnight accommodations are usually at schools. For 2017, we’ll be two staying two nights each at three different schools; a private school, a small liberal arts college, and a pretty public school with a nearby brewery and lots of alternative outdoor activities.
We know how much you values good food and we aim please with delicious breakfasts and dinners every day.
So our pricing schedule below. You may be able to save by registering now rather than later.
Overnight host locations:
- Greenfield at the Stoneleigh-Burnham School
574 Bernardston Rd, Greenfield, MA 01301
- Putney, VT at Landmark College
19 River Rd S, Putney, VT 05346
- Orange, MA at the Ralph C. Mahar Regional High School
507 S Main St, Orange, MA 01364
- Our starting and ending location in Greenfield is easily reached from all directions;
close to I-91 and MA Route 2
Registration Options and Prices
Registration closes on July 15th
|7 Day (Sat – Fri)||$750||$770||$795|
|5 Day (Mon-Fri)||$535||$550||$575|
|4 Day (Sat-Tue)*||$450||$450||$475|
|2 Day (Sat-Sun)||$175||$175||$175|
*Includes rider, luggage and bike transfer back to the starting location on Tuesday, August 2nd at about 3:30pm
Included with your registration
- Limited to 150 riders
- The friendliest volunteers around to help you with whatever you need
- 7 Day, 5 Day, 4 Day and 2 Day Options
Four day option includes Tuesday afternoon transportation back to the start for rider, bike and luggage
- More riding, less packing with 3 layover days (Sat, Sun, Monday & Wed)
- Tent and gear transportation between overnight stops
- Indoor and outdoor camping included beginning the evening before the start
- Hot showers and indoor toilets at all locations
- Tour t-shirt
- Free long-term parking at the ride start
- Ride up to 70 miles or and most days have options for 35-45 miles.
(shorten you day even more with our headstart drop-off service)
- All routes are arrowed
- Well-stocked rest stops every 15 – 20 miles
- Links for gps files, maps and for printing cue sheets and route notes
- Ride up to 70 miles or and most days have options for 35-45 miles.
- Great food – much of it is locally sourced by local caterers in the midst of harvest season
- Dinners beginning on Saturday, August 5th
- Breakfasts beginning on Sunday, August 6th
Optional services available at additional cost
- Kayaking and skydiving while at our Orange, MA location.
- Breakfast on the first day
- Tent services provided by Comfy Campers
- Early morning coffee and towel service, lawn chairs and even mattresses are also available from Comfy Campers
- On-site massage
- Bike Shipping and Rental
We think food is a really important part of our tour, so plan on having the best of what is local. Here is a list of what is and is not included.
- Breakfasts included
- Sunday – Friday
- 7AM – 8AM
- $$ optional early morning coffee service from Comfy Campers
- Not included on Saturday morning – close by are places for breakfast
- not included,
- We will have suggestions of places to stop each day
- Dinners are included
- Saturday through Thursday.
- 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- Snacks and beverages will be available in camp free of charge
The Cycle Massachusetts State Tour travels on hard-surfaced roads to take in the scenic and historic sites of the state, generally staying at local schools along the way. The terrain can be quite challenging and ranges from flat to rolling hills to very challenging. Even on the shorter routes, you should expect to be challenged in some places. Short routes range from 30 to 45 miles. Long routes range from 55 to 70 miles. Remember, the better prepared you are, the more fun it will be. For those who might be concerned the difficulty of the routes, we do offer Headstart Dropoff Service that will shuttle you and your bike up to 25 miles into the routes. Sorry, but we are not able to offer this service of tandem or recumbent bikes
More information and route maps can be found here.
We think our jerseys are going to be really great. You can purchase one when you register and you can buy one even if you are not registering.
Click here to find out more.
We offer outdoor or indoor camping each night. Offsite accommodations are also possible as well as a camping service that takes care of everything from tents to towels. Click here to find out more information.
Cancellation Policy & Insurance
Most people worry about what happens if they can’t go. The basic policy is refund up until July 1st and no refund after that date. But be sure to read this section and find out how to protect yourself.