Cycle Massachusetts – State Bike Tour
“The Friendliest Ride In The East”
The State Bike Tour is our signature event and the only week-long tour in Massachusetts.
Each year we explore different parts of the states and sometimes venture into neighboring states. We are continually trying out new things without giving up any of the things people love about us. And this year, we are adding a new rider reception, so you can get to know some of our friendly volunteer, a few old timers and others who our new to Cycle Massachusetts, we welcome eBikes and have other things in the works.
We ride through mostly rural areas with quiet roads, so you can experience forest and farms and our quaint New England villages.
Many people are surprised to find out how hilly our state can be. But we try to keep things mellow while also providing options for people to stretch themselves. And just in case you aren’t up to riding all of a day’s routes, registration includes our Headstart Drop-Off Service will allow you to start up to 20 miles into the route.
Overnight accommodations are usually at schools. For 2017, we’ll be two staying two nights each at three different schools; a private school, a small liberal arts college, and a pretty public school with a nearby brewery and lots of alternative outdoor activities.
We know how much you values good food and we aim please with breakfast and dinner every day.
Bookmark this page and come back often as we update our offerings. And look for our special December pricing if you want to save a few bucks.
August 5th – 11th, 2017
Overnights host locations:
Greenfield, Putney, VT and Orange, MA
Our starting location is easily reached from all directions
We want everybody to experience the fun of our tours, so we have created a family weekend option.
Children 11 and under are free.
Daily rides 25 miles or less
To make things easier, there will be ride leaders each day
- Limited to 150 riders
- 7 Day, 5 Day, 4 Day and 2 Day Options
- More riding, less packing with only 3 move days
- Tent and gear transportation between overnight stops
- Indoor and outdoor camping included every night
- Multiple daily ride option
- Ride up to 70 miles or less than 40 most sday
(shorten your day even more with our head start drop off service)
- Well-stocked rest stops every 15 – 20 miles
- Great food – much of it is locally sourced by local caterers in the midst of harvest season
- Including 6 breakfasts and 6 dinners (lunches on your own)
- Hot showers
- Nightly entertainment
- Free long-term parking at Nichols College in Dudley
- The friendliest volunteers around to help you with whatever you need
- Optional services available at additional cost
- Four day option includes Tuesday afternoon transportation back to the start for rider, bike and luggage
New for 2016
We love having cycling families along for the ride. So this year, we are offering a weekend tour designed for families. This includes:
- Kids 11 and under ride and eat for FREE
- Shorter manageable tour routes on quiet roads. Even an option to ride to Old Sturbridge village with shuttle service available in either direction).
- Evening activities – maybe even a campfire with s’mores
- Stop by the Publick House nearby to pick up goodies at their famous bakery
- Outdoor kid-friendly movie
- Saturday afternoon ice cream social
Registration OptionsRegister Now
|7 Day Registration||$750||$770||$795|
|5 Day Registration||$535||$550||$575|
|4 Day Registration*||$450||$450||$475|
|2 Day Registration||$175||$175||$175|
Registration closes on July 15th
- Daily ride choices (Routes are arrowed)
- Cue Sheets, GPS files, Maps
- Route Notes
- Breakfasts beginning on Sunday, July 31st
- Dinners beginning on Saturday, July 30th
- Tent and gear transportation
- Camping privileges
- Nightly entertainment
- Tour t-shirt
We think food is a really important part of our tour, so plan on having the best of what is local. Here is a list of what is and is not included.
- Breakfasts included
- Sunday – Friday
- 7AM – 8AM
- $$ optional early morning coffee service from Comfy Campers
- Not included on Saturday morning – close by are
- Sully’s Dog Shack (you wont’ be disappointed)
- Dunkin Donuts
- not included,
- We will have suggestions of places to stop each day
- Dinners are included
- Saturday through Thursday.
- 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- Snacks and beverages will be available in camp free of charge
The Cycle Massachusetts State Tour travels on hard-surfaced roads to take in the scenic and historic sites of the state, generally staying at local schools along the way. The terrain can be quite challenging and ranges from flat to rolling hills to very challenging. Even on the shorter routes, you should expect to be challenged in some places. Short routes range from 30 to 45 miles. Long routes range from 55 to 70 miles. Remember, the better prepared you are, the more fun it will be.
More information and route maps can be found here.
We think our jerseys are going to be really great. You can purchase one when you register and you can buy one even if you are not registering.
Click here to find out more.
We offer outdoor or indoor camping each night. Offsite accommodations are also possible as well as a camping service that takes care of everything from tents to towels. Click here to find out more information.
Cancellation Policy & Insurance
Most people worry about what happens if they can’t go. The basic policy is refund up until July 1st and no refund after that date. But be sure to read this section and find out how to protect yourself.
GPS Rentals + Bike Rentals and Shipping
If you would like to try out a GPS, we can rent you a brand new Garmin GPS unit, pre-loaded with all the routes. And at the end of the tour, if you liked it, you can buy it.
We also have partnered with Urban Adventure in Boston for Bike Rental and Shipping.
For more information of any of the above, just click here